Sunday 25 August 2013

A long time a coming…



Well I haven’t been out for coming close to a couple of weeks due to other commitments and it has certainly been at the forefront of my mind just how long it has been.  I had planned a trip out on Friday evening but as is often the case with weather predictions, the weather warning for rain actually turned into a dry night with no rain until 3am, so needless to say I was disappointed at being influenced by the prediction.

So Saturday night I decided it was time to get out and wet a line before I forget what it was like to do so.  I went to Hamstead with regular cohort Mark Barton with a variety of baits and some hope for a bit of sport, given the chop on the water and a nice colour present too. 

 Hamstead has been good to us this year for fun fishing

First cast I lobbed out peeler crab bait which I froze on the rig from my last trip (never being one to waste bait!).  After about 20 minutes my rod was tapping away and was what I thought would be weed on the line, given Mark advised me it was present earlier that evening.  I felt a weight clinging to the bottom, until it got to the surf and I saw splashing and kicking.  Thinking it was a small ‘Smut’ I went down to collect my fish, only to find the biggest lobster I have ever had, just shy of 5lb.  Needless to say I was more than content with that and rung my wife to say we were set for tea the following day!

 The biggest Lobster I have had, 4lb 14oz, my first from Hamstead

Fishing was really hard down Hamstead, the wind was pretty intense, the weed was pretty consistent but more disheartening was the absence of bites.  I had one Smooth-hound of about 3lb at the top of tide caught on a beauty of a cocktail; ½ Ammo Peeler and about 6 Slipper Limpets lashed together; however, that was all I had.  Mark had a Wrasse on worm (around 9oz) and a ‘Smut’ pup (ounces) before I arrived, but nothing after.  It’s probably my last trip to Hamstead this year, but it has given me a fair share of sport fishing this year so I cannot grumble.

A 3lb 'Smut' was all we could manage between us... 

Peeler crabs usually great for a number of species, 
this time landing a sizeable Lobster...

Ammo Slipper Limpets, a bait I am keen to keep trying, especially in cocktails.

Fugu you!

I received my 4 spools of Fugu this week and stripped all my reels and refilled with it.  It really is my favourite line on the market at the minute and is great value for money.  I hope it stays around as I don’t want to change, so I may have to stock up just to be sure I have it to hand!  Fugu is available from Mushiki Tackle which can be found through Google or via Facebook.


Out with the old, in with the renewed!

In these time of austerity where the majority of us are feeling the pinch, its not as easy to just go out and buy new equipment as often as we would perhaps like to.  I recently had a rod rebuilt, as it is fair to say it was well beyond its prime, but I couldn't bare to see it scrapped.  So I passed my Conoflex Vampire II to Bait and Tackle (Ryde) for their rod building / repair services, to give her a good going over.  She needed the works; the spigot was shot, eyes were damaged, finish on the blank was simply gone...What I got back was fantastic, a return to glory; spigot rebuilt, blank finished beautifully, new eyes whipped on in classy red & silver and stiffened back up a little, I am really happy!  She was also re-christened last night with my small 'Smut' and the Lobster, she will be a permanent feature in my rod bag from hereon.
 

 A return to glory for the Vampire

Angling Trust

I have had an email from the Angling Trust Chief Executive to say he will be collating the responses to my queries as the Head of Finance and Business escalated it to him.  I will share with Wight Lines followers any responses I get.  It appears I have stirred things up a bit with my comments about the lack of faith or effectiveness perceived by sea anglers around the AT.

Competition!

The Wight Lines / What Fish? Competition is in its final leg so if you haven’t entered I suggest you do so, there is a prize of £40 plus worth of EcoGear lures etc to be won.  You need to procure the WhatFish? App for your smartphone, to find the answer to the question.  Good luck!

 Get the WhatFish? App on your phone and stand a chance of winning £40 of gear!

Holy Mackerel!

Well it has arguably been a shocking year for feathering from the shore for Mackerel.  Its likely a multitude of issues are leading to the lack of presence this year, but one thing is certain, there will be a lot of people buying Mackerel this winter as bait freezers remain empty.  Sea Raider Fishing Charters (Jason Lovell Owner/Operator) have been having some stonking Mackerel trips in the boat, which indicates that they are there, just out of reach for the shore angler. 

Sea Raider Fishing Charters Skipper Jason Lovell has been putting people on the Mackerel day time, 
night time providing some stonking Bass, Ray and Conger fishing (Call 07507 535 971 to book). 

Struggling with my J-Pop Mission...

I have to confess, this round of the challenge with John Popplewell (Total Sea Fishing, 'All at Sea')  has proven harder than I gave credit to.  A 3lb or heavier Bass is all that is needed.  Doesn't sound too taxing, but the lack of bars being caught and how both of us haven't drawn the round to a close goes to show its not as easy as first perceived.  At the minute anyway...

Soon be Autumn

Perhaps unlike some others, we are quickly approaching my favourite time of year for fishing.  I love the Autumn, especially for Bass fishing and it is usually the time of year certain marks pick up pace, for me anyway.  September through to late November has generally been quite good to me, so I need to stock the freezer up with Ammo baits, plan my diary and get some serious hours set aside.

Autumn is a good time of year to me, being generous with the silver bars last year.

Tight Lines

Adz

1 comment:

  1. Super-Duper site! I am Loving it!! Will come back again, In taking your feed also, Thanks.
    super luxury Bahamas yachts

    ReplyDelete